Need for Securing the Borders
The drug cartels are killing thousands on both sides of the border, and drug overdoses take thousands more lives every year. For purposes of national sovereignty a nation must have defined borders. Securing the border is essential to stopping weapons/drugs/sex trafficking as well as terrorist infiltration. Millions of American youth have their lives destroyed as they become enslaved to drugs.
A Cost-Effective Solution
It would be far more cost-effective for U.S. troops to spend their time guarding U.S. borders than overseas. Spending on national defense in 2018 is 15.8% of the U.S. budget ($656.3 billion). After health and retirement, military spending is the third-largest expense in the U.S. budget.
However, only 22.7% of the national defense budget is spent on 'Military Personnel' ($146.1 billion) and only 11.29% is spent on 'Research, Development, Test and Evaluation.' ($74.1 billion) The majority of military spending relates to direct war costs unrelated to payroll or research. 'Operation and Maintenance' is 39.42% of the defense budget ($258.7 billion) and 'Procurement' is 18.94% ($124.3 billion). As such a total of $383 billion in defense spending could be reduced by simply paying U.S. troops to do something more cost-effective like guarding the borders which would require less spending on operations, maintenance, and procurement.
Furthermore, returning troops to guard the borders would give a boost to U.S. employment. Troops would now be spending their salaries here in the U.S., creating jobs here instead of overseas. Adding thousands of employed consumers to the economy could do nothing but help.
Need for eVerify: Democrat Voter Fraud
Obama in April 2014 falsely claimed that "The real voter fraud is people who try to deny our rights by making bogus arguments about voter fraud." However, contrary to Obama's lies, Democrat voter fraud has been pervasive and consistent under his administration. The Republican National Lawyers Association has catalogued nearly 200 cases of Democrat voter fraud just since 2011. Some of the more prominent examples of Democrat voter fraud in recent years include:
- Four Indiana Democrats charged with election fraud for helping put Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton on the ballot in Indiana in 2008.
- Wendy Rosen, a Democrat running for Maryland's 1st Congressional District, resigned in September of 2012, and pled guilty in 2013 to voting illegally in two elections. Rosen was sentenced to five years’ probation and a $5,000 fine.
|“||“Today, we have a new example of just how far prominent people will go to commit voter fraud. Wendy Rosen, who until last September was the Democratic nominee in Maryland’s Eastern Shore congressional district, was just indicted for voting in both Florida and Maryland since at least 2006. Each of the two counts she was indicted on carry a possible sentence of up to five years in jail and a fine of $2,500. Nor is Rosen the only candidate for Congress who has become, shall we say, personally involved in stuffing the ballot box. A few years ago, former Democratic congressman Austin Murphy of Pennsylvania pleaded guilty to illegally entering nursing homes and overly ‘assisting’ incapacitated voters with filling out ballots.”
-John Fund, National Review
- The 2008 ACORN national scandal had numerous cases of Democrat voter fraud across the United States leading to 18 convictions. In Philadelphia alone 1,500 fraudulent voter registrations were submitted.
- Al Franken, the Senator who gave Democrats their supermajority in 2009, won through a recount where 12,000 absentee ballots were thrown out. According to the New York Times, “Mr. Franken won by 312 votes, while state officials rejected 12,000 absentee ballots.” Despite trailing at the end of the election, thousands of mysterious absentee ballots emerged after the elections had closed to given Franken the victory and Democrats complete control of Congress, allowing them to pass any legislation they wanted without Republican votes.
|“||“But the team's real goldmine were absentee ballots, thousands of which the Franken team claimed had been mistakenly rejected. While Mr. Coleman's lawyers demanded a uniform standard for how counties should re-evaluate these rejected ballots, the Franken team ginned up an additional 1,350 absentees from Franken-leaning counties. By the time this treasure hunt ended, Mr. Franken was 312 votes up, and Mr. Coleman was left to file legal briefs.”
-The Wall Street Journal
- The Chief of Staff for Florida State Representative Joe Garcia, Jeffrey Garcia (no relation) resigned on May 31st, 2013 for manipulating the 2012 Florida elections with hundreds of fake absentee ballots.
- James Webb Baker of Seattle pleaded guilty to one count of voter intimidation and one count of identification fraud for sending fake letters to 200 Republican Party donors in Florida warning them they would be arrested if voting.
- The son and Director of Field Operations for Democrat Representative Jim Moran resigned from his campaign in October of 2012 after being caught on video explaining how to use voter fraud to help Obama win the election. The Congressman’s son Patrick Moran can be seen on recorded video saying “Bank statement would obviously be tough, but they can fake a utility bill easily enough, you know?” Moran's son endorsed a scheme to fraudulently vote on behalf of 100 people.
- A Democrat State Representative in Massachusetts, Stephen Smith, pled guilty to charges of voter fraud in December of 2012. Smith used fraudulent absentee ballots in both 2009 and 2010. According to the FBI's report Smith's plea agreement required that he resign from office on January 1st, 2013, and he will not be eligible to run for office for five years afterward.
- In March 2013 a Democrat poll worker, Melowese Richardson, was indicted for voting illegally at least six times in the 2012 elections, along with illegal votes in both 2008 and 2011. Richardson defended her illegal actions by saying, “I'll fight it for Mr. Obama and Mr. Obama's right to sit as president of the United States.” Also indicted for illegal voting were Marguerite Kloos and Russell Glassop. A year later Al Sharpton honored Melowese Richardson at a rally after she was released early from a 5-year prison sentence, going so far as to hug her for committing voter fraud to help Obama win.
- In February 2014 a Philadelphia election worker was arrested for tampering with voting machines during the November 2013 election. Dianah Gregory, a Democrat, forced her way into an election booth to write her name on another voter’s ballot for the position of election judge, and wrote her name on the side of the booth. She has since been sentenced to 15 months’ probation, fined $5,000, and is required to perform 15 hours of community service.
- Eight different Democrat officials stand accused of voter fraud in the 2009 Working Families Primary, and as of January 2012, four of them had pleaded guilty to falsifying absentee ballots. Hundreds of faked ballots, as well as forgery instruments, were uncovered by the investigation.
- In September 2012 Democrat State Representative Hudson Hallum pleaded guilty to bribing voters with chicken dinners and cheap vodka for their absentee ballots in a 2011 election. Also pleading guilty were two other Democrats, his father Kent Hallum and West Memphis City Councilman Phillip Wayne Carter; as well as a West Memphis Police Officer named Sam Malone. Hallum was ultimately sentenced to three years’ probation including nine months of home confinement, fined $20,000, and ordered to perform 100 hours of community service.
How to Pass Immigration Reform
An immigration reform bill is more likely to pass if accompanied by at least some of the following commonsense measures:
Mexican Repatriation Apology
Roughly 2 million American citizens of hispanic heritage were deported into Mexico to free up jobs during the Great Depression, a wrong the United States has never apologized for. A simple apology for that wrong would do much to mend bridges with the hispanic community. A further good faith effort would be creation of a public department to assist hispanics in examining public records to determine who is descended from former U.S. citizens.
Citizenship for Military Veterans
One would think military veterans would automatically become U.S. citizens but hundreds of veterans have been deported, including Daniel Torres (U.S. Marines), Marco Antonio Chavez (U.S. Marines), Hector Barajas-Varela (Paratrooper), Erasmo Apodaca, and Miguel Perez (U.S. Army).
Citizenship for Those with Substantial Ancestry from Native American Tribes
Another commonsense reform would be to allow those who can provide evidence of ancestry from U.S. Native American tribes (e.g. genealogical or genetic testing) to become U.S. citizens. A possible test would be 1/16th blood quantum, a common standard for joining Native American tribes, although 1/8th or 1/4 are possible alternatives as well.
- Condon, S. (2014, April 11). Obama: The Real Voter Fraud is People Who Try to Deny Our Rights. CBS News. <http://www.cbsnews.com/news/obama-the-real-voter-fraud-is-people-who-try-to-deny-our-rights>
Editorial: North Carolina Answers Democrats' Question 'What Vote Fraud?' (2014, April 11). The Washington Times. <http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/apr/11/editorial-a-lesson-for-the-president>
- Vote Fraud News. Republican National Lawyers Association. <https://www.rnla.org/votefraud.asp>
- Shawn, E. (2012, April 3). 4 Indiana Dems Charged with Election Fraud in 2008 Presidential Race. FOX News. <http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/04/02/4-indiana-dems-charged-with-election-fraud-in-2008>
- Pershing, B. (2012, September 10). Maryland Democrat Quits Congressional Race Amid Vote Fraud Allegations. The Washington Post. <http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/maryland-politics/post/maryland-democrat-quits-congressional-race-amid-vote-fraud-allegations/2012/09/10/d0ff9b1e-fb73-11e1-b2af-1f7d12fe907a_blog.html>
- Fritze, J. (2013, March 8). Wendy Rosen Reaches Plea Agreement on Voting Charges. The Baltimore Sun. <http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2013-03-08/news/bal-wendy-rosen-reaches-plea-agreement-on-voting-charges-20130308_1_wendy-rosen-plea-agreement-general-election>
- Fund, J. (2012, December 20). There Is No Voter Fraud, Unless You Count... National Review. <http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/336251/there-no-voter-fraud-unless-you-count-john-fund>
- 18 Former ACORN Workers Have Been Convicted or Admitted Guilt in Election Fraud (2010, November 26). FOX News. <http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/11/26/acorn-workers-convicted-admitted-guilt-election-fraud> Vadum, M. (2011, April 14). Obama’s Favorite Gangsters Convicted Again. The Washington Times. <http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/apr/14/obamas-favorite-gangsters-convicted-again/?page=all>
- Fund, J. (2009, May 29). More Acorn Voter Fraud Comes to Light. The Wall Street Journal. <http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB124182750646102435>
- The Absentee Senator: Franken Wins by Changing the Rules (2009, July 2). The Wall Street Journal. <http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB124640687950076679>
- Liptak, A. (2012, October 6). Error and Fraud at Issue as Absentee Voting Rises. The New York Times. <http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/07/us/politics/as-more-vote-by-mail-faulty-ballots-could-impact-elections.html?pagewanted=all>
- Mischief in Minnesota? (2008, November 12). The Wall Street Journal. <http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB122644940271419147>
- Associated Press (2013, June 2). Top Staffer for Florida Democratic Rep. Garcia Resigns Amid Voting Fraud Probe. FOX News. <http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/06/02/top-staffer-for-florida-democratic-rep-resigns-amid-voting-fraud-probe>
Associated Press (2013, June 1). Congressman Joe Garcia's Chief of Staff Resigns Over Probe. NBC Miami. <http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Congressman-Joe-Garcias-Chief-of-Staff-Resigns-Over-Probe-209756721.html>
Prill, K. (2013, July 17). Democrat Hush Money Over Voter Fraud Scandal in Florida? National Republican Congressional Committee. <http://www.nrcc.org/2013/07/17/democrat-hush-money-over-voter-fraud-scandal-in-florida>
U.S. Rep. Joe Garcia's Chief of Staff Resigns (2013, May 31). CBS Miami. <http://miami.cbslocal.com/2013/05/31/rep-joe-garcias-chief-of-staff-resigns>
- U.S. Department of Justice (2014, May 29). Seattle Man Pleads Guilty to Voter Intimidation and Identification Fraud for Letters Sent to Florida Residents in Conjunction with the 2012 Federal Elections. FBI. <http://www.fbi.gov/tampa/press-releases/2014/seattle-man-pleads-guilty-to-voter-intimidation-and-identification-fraud-for-letters-sent-to-florida-residents-in-conjunction-with-the-2012-federal-elections>
Isikoff, M. (2012, October 24). Feds Investigate Phony Letters Warning Florida Voters They're Not Eligible to Vote. NBC News. <http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/24/14677602-feds-investigate-phony-letters-warning-florida-voters-theyre-not-eligible-to-vote> Turque, B. (2012, October 24). Bogus Letters Sent to Florida Republican Voters. The Washington Post. <http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2012/10/24/bogus-letters-sent-to-florida-republican-voters>
Fake Voter Registration Letters Raise Alarm in Florida with Early Voting Set to Begin (2012, October 24). FOX News. <http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/10/23/fake-voter-registration-letters-raise-alarm-in-florida-with-early-voting-set-to>
- Haines, E. (2012, October 24). Jim Moran's Son Resigns From Campaign Amid Video Furor. The Washington Post. <http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/jim-morans-son-resigns-campaign-amid-video-furor/2012/10/24/95ea4a56-1e23-11e2-b647-bb1668e64058_story.html>
- Associated Press (2012, October 25). Rep. Jim Moran's Son Quits Campaign Over Voter Fraud Video. USA Today. <http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2012/10/25/jim-moran-son-vote-fraud-video/1656981>
- Montopoli, B. (2012, October 25). Congressman's Son Resigns After Voter Fraud Video. CBS News. <http://www.cbsnews.com/news/congressmans-son-resigns-after-voter-fraud-video>
- Anderson, T. (2012, December 20). Mass. Lawmaker Will Plead Guilty to Voter Fraud. Boston Globe. <http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2012/12/20/mass-lawmaker-will-plead-guilty-voter-fraud/g9cBs3OJdeGsaSa9EmUiRI/story.html>
- U.S. Attorney’s Office, Boston Division (2012, December 20). Massachusetts State Representative Stephen Smith Agrees to Plead Guilty to Voter Fraud Charges. FBI. <http://www.fbi.gov/boston/press-releases/2012/massachusetts-state-representative-stephen-smith-agrees-to-plead-guilty-to-voter-fraud-charges>
- Shawn, E. (2013, March 11). Cincinnati Poll Worker Charged with Voting Half Dozen Times in November. FOX News. <http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/11/cincinnati-poll-worker-charged-with-voting-half-dozen-times-in-november>
- Perry, K. (2013, July 17). Ohioan Gets 5-Year Prison Term for Illegal Voting. USA Today. <http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/07/17/cincinnati-illegal-voting/2530119>
- Coolidge, S. (2014, March 22). Both Parties Jeer Embrace of Fraudulent Voter. Cincinnati.com. <http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/elections/2014/03/21/democrats-convicted-poll-worker-hero/6712981>
- Brennan, C. (2014, February 21). Politics and Crime, Intersecting in Philadelphia. Interstate General Media. <http://articles.philly.com/2014-02-21/news/47563069_1_state-senate-seat-philadelphia-building-business-manager> Smith, V.J. (2014, February 21). Philly Election Board Worker Arrested for Voter Fraud. Scott Wagner for State Senate. <http://www.politicspa.com/philly-election-board-worker-arrested-for-voter-fraud/55372>
- Jamerson, T. (2014, May 27). Dianah Gregory Enters Guilty Plea for 2013 Election Day Crime. Philadelphia Office of the District Attorney. <http://phillyda.wordpress.com/2014/05/29/dianah-gregory-enters-guilty-plea-for-2013-election-day-crime> Sana (2014, June 5). Judge of Election no Longer Last Word. The Philadelphia Public Record. <http://www.phillyrecord.com/2014/06/pols-on-the-street-rendell-said-no-to-lewis-now-mourns-his-loss>
- Shawn, E. (2012, January 17). Voter Fraud 'A Normal Political Tactic' in Upstate NY City. FOX News. <http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/01/17/voter-fraud-normal-political-tactic-in-upstate-ny-city> Von Spakovsky, H.A. (2012, February 14). The Real Victims of Voter Fraud. National Review. <http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/291042/real-victims-voter-fraud-hans-von-spakovsky>
- U.S. Attorney's Office, Eastern District of Arkansas (2012, September 5). Four Crittenden County Men Charged with Conspiracy to Commit Election Fraud. U.S. Department of Justice. <http://www.justice.gov/usao/are/news/2012/September/Hallumetal_electionfraud_Infoplea_090512.html>
Broach, J. (2012, September 6). Four Arkansas men, Including Elected Officials, Plead Guilty to Conspiracy to Commit Voter Fraud. NBC 12 News. <http://www.nbc12.com/story/19468391/four-arkansas-men-including-elected-officials-plead-guilty-to-voter-fraud>
Fahrenthold, D.A. (2012, October 1). Selling Votes is Common Type of Election Fraud. The Washington Post. <http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/decision2012/selling-votes-is-common-type-of-election-fraud/2012/10/01/f8f5045a-071d-11e2-81ba-ffe35a7b6542_story.html>
- Lee, T. (2012, September 5). Arkansas Democrats Plead Guilty to Voter Fraud. Breitbart. <http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/09/05/Arkansas-Democrats-Plead-Guilty-To-Voter-Fraud>
Shawn, E. (2012, October 22). Vodka for Votes: Arkansas Rep, Operatives Await Sentencing in Fraud Scheme. FOX News. <http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/10/22/arkansas-operatives-plead-guilty-in-vodka-for-votes-scam>
Arkansas State Lawmaker Resigns After ‘Vodka for Votes’ Scheme (2012, October 22). FOX News. <http://foxnewsinsider.com/2012/10/22/arkansas-state-representative-resigns-after-vodka-for-votes-scheme>
- U.S. Attorney's Office, Little Rock Division (2013, June 21). Former State Representative Hudson Hallum and Father Sentenced for Conspiracy to Commit Election Fraud. FBI. <http://www.fbi.gov/littlerock/press-releases/2013/former-state-representative-hudson-hallum-and-father-sentenced-for-conspiracy-to-commit-election-fraud>
- Frame, C.S. (2009). “Mexican Repatriation: History.” California State University San Marcos.
Grillo, I. (2008, February 7). “Mexico Tries to Help Deportees.” Time Magazine.
“Unheralded Mass Deportation: Some Recall Forced Mexico Trip.” Associated Press.
- Binkowski, B. (2018, April 13). “Does the United States Deport Military Veterans? True.” Snopes.org.
Sanchez, T. (2016, April 23). “A Mexican Immigrant Here Illegally Just Became a U.S. Citizen, Thanks to His U.S. Military Service.” Los Angeles Times.
Phillips, K. (2018, March 31). “A Deported Veteran Has Been Granted U.S. Citizenship, After 14 Years of Living in Mexico.” Washington Post.
Waldrop, T. (2018, March 26). “U.S. Army Veteran Who Served Two Tours in Afghanistan Has Been Deported to Mexico.” CNN.
Chavez, N. (2017, April 16). “CA Governor’s Pardon Could Help 3 Deported Veterans Return to the U.S.” CNN.